Brookhaven Rehabilitation and Health Care Center’s Comprehensive Bariatric Wellness Program
Paving the Path for Lifestyle Change and Healing
The Bariatric Wellness Program supports the theory that morbid obesity is a chronic disease. Research shows that weight-loss programs that include lifestyle change counseling are the most effective at helping people lose weight. Keeping this in mind, our program has been designed to assist individuals who suffer from morbid obesity. Through physical and mental rehabilitation, our goal for all members is the eventual return to independent living in the community.
Our specially trained physicians and clinical staff work one-on-one with residents who would like to lose weight through diet and exercise. Or team helps patients understand the connection between food and exercise and the role that lifestyle change can play in improving overall quality of life.
OUR TREATMENT PLAN:
The Wellness Program has developed a treatment model which is an interdisciplinary centered approach with a common goal of lifestyle change and functional independence. As part of the program, each resident will have a chance to actively participate in:
- Daily exercise classes led by the Physical Therapy Department.
- An individualized, therapeutic meal plan.
- Individualized and realistic weight loss goal-setting/weekly weight monitoring.
- Thrice weekly support groups/lectures with a psychologist, registered dietitian, and licensed social worker in a private setting.
- Cooking/Food Preparation classes.
- Individualized psychotherapy sessions, as desired.
Brookhaven physicians, nurses and clinical staff create a supportive environment for residents. We understand what it’s like to be on the patient’s side of the table, we listen, and tailor recommendations and care plans to each patient’s individual needs.